Archive for the ‘sewing’ category

Life is full.

April 12, 2009

Just in the last week, I’ve baked three cakes and two pies, attended four music rehearsals and four committee meetings, planned and executed a birthday party, and made this skirt.skirt1

I designed it and drafted the pattern–I think it’s the first time I’ve done it for anyone other than myself.   Here is a detail of the blanket stitching on the appliques.  The pink fabric is from a crib dust ruffle bought at a discount store.  (And yes, I made the gores on the cross-grain–because that was the only way they fit.)detail1

Tote Bag

February 2, 2009

I made this for nursing-student-daughter–for those hefty textbooks.  She has inherited my caffeine-dependency gene.  The fabric is from my stash, the maker long-forgotten.  What cute polka-dotted cups!

bag2

fabric2

Jingle Jangle Thangle

February 1, 2009

buck-a-blockNow it’s going through my head…”I’ve got spurs that jingle jangle jingle…”  Well, despite my (great) years in Texas, I have no spurs.

But I do have Thangles!  They’re preprinted paper pattern pieces (say that fast 5 times), and I’m using them as part of a “buck a block” project at our local quilting shop.  That’s the first block, and I get the instructions and fabric for the next block on Tuesday–for a buck.

Dressed up for church

January 27, 2009

Here is the project which, partly due to its improvisational nature, gave me lots of practice ripping, straightening, trimming and re-sewing.

 

gedc0256

This is a casserole cozy-caddy.  It is custom-made to carry and insulate a 9×14 glass casserole dish with a thick, sturdy lid.  It’s all dressed up for church, which is where its recipient often totes such dishes.  The outer fabric is from the Michael Miller Farmers’ Market collection, designed by Sandi Henderson.  When you open the handles, you find this:caddy2The caddy is padded with both cotton batting and Insul-Bright, to keep those baked beans warm for a long time.  Here’s a close-up of the button, which is really a light green stacked on a dark green one:caddy11And when you unbutton it, you find … caddy4a red thick sturdy plastic casserole lid that clashes awfully with those cute apple-green prints!

Tea-Dyed Mystery Project

January 12, 2009

My next project must remain a mystery so that it will duly surprise the giftee.  However, I can share some of the preparatory steps in very general terms.

I have purchased half the fabric I’ll need, and, being in a very small town with no fabric shops, I bought it on the Web from these nice folks.  The rest of the fabric needs to come from my stash.  But I don’t have the right stuff.  So I decided to experiment with this minty-fresh 100% cotton scrap that in no way matches or coordinates with the purchased fabric.minty-fresh1I originally bought the fabric to make scrub pants for a scrub top made from this print. 

scrubs

Notice the motifs:  sight-seeing venues from around the world.  The scrubs were a Christmas gift for a daughter in nursing school.  She spent last June in Italy, and when I saw the Roman Coliseum in this print, I knew it was for her!  (The fabric is from a line called “Journeys” manufactured by this Mississippi-based company.)

 

So the minty-fresh fabric was a nice match–but I have no further need for something quite so, um, minty fresh.

In fact, my next project requires rather subdued colors, and I thought that tea-dying some of my stash might produce the effect I need. 

This is how I tea-dyed my minty-fresh fabric:  I placed ten regular-sized tea bags in a large stock pot about 1/3 full of water, boiled it for a few minutes and let it steep until the color was quite dark.  I removed the tea bags while the water was still hot and placed the minty-fresh fabric in, submerging it completely and swishing it around until I liked the color.  (The scraps probably equaled 3/4 of a yard.  For more fabric, more liquid would be required and possibly more tea bags.)

I squeezed some of the liquid out of the fabric and dumped it in the washing machine for a cold rinse and a spin.  Then I dried it on “hot – cotton” until dry to set the color.  Here it is, fresh out of the dryer (i.e., unironed):

sage

Now I have this lovely subdued sage in place of the minty fresh.  And it goes very nicely with my purchased fabrics.

Experiment:  successful!

January 7, 2009

gedc0200Patching these jeans with Amy Butler scraps was way fun.

January 7, 2009

gedc0201The other knee.